Thursday, December 25, 2014

He doesn't like cats

What does it take to make a match? One that lasts. If he doesn't like cats, and I don't like dogs. If he feels that my politics are worse than jello. Wiggly and unfounded. If I feel that he is still recovering from being 25 even at 36, afraid of breeding and owning houses. 

What are the list of defects that I can tick off about him, and he about me. Like a campaign flyer on election night bashing the oposition. We are both aware of what we are voting against. Worse than repealing the carbon tax. 

He was visibly stilted at the revelation that I sleep naked in the presence of my son, despite his otherwise ambivilance about my nudity. 

I winced as he ate two big macs in a row, no chewing and then farted. 

He frowns as I glance at strangers with my inadvertent bitch face, proving without a doubt that I am simotaniously snobby and socially awkward. 

He is emotionally unavailable, abandoning all forms of intimacy untill I am left a neglected younger sibling in his presence. 

I am emotionally needy requiring hours of cheeck kissing, hair fondling and toe dancing for which my dance card remains empty. 

We are not agnostic about each others defects. 

Neither of us are perfect for the other. We are human and flawed. Cracked and crinckled like the discarded wrapping paper after christmas morning. We lack the new shiny gloss that either of us imagines we should have. 

But as my friend I accept him. As my friend he is just him. Funny, attentinve and relaxed. He cajoles me, is up for any adventure and says sweet and caring things at the best and the worst of moments. As my friend I hold him up to no higher standard than to listen to my boring bits of daily news in exchange for listening to his. We swap, him teaching me chess so I can beat my son, me ensuring he has a rain poncho or teaching him to make kambuca. We enjoy, we laugh, we keep company.

Is there anyone out there who will check all my boxes, fills all my spots, pass my corporate interview? Maybe the key to all happy relationships is acceptance. Unconditionally loving your flaws in exchange for you unconditionally loving mine. 

Lets not decide. Lets not try to pass each others test. No match is required. Let's just be, enjoy, share. The future doesn't exist. There is only now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment