Thursday, December 4, 2014

Dinner and a kid

Dear potential suitor:

Yes, I am a mother. My son is 11. He is gorgeous, smart and lovely. He has a mother, a father, and many grandparents all who love him. He is mine. He is not yours and never will be.

Don't be afraid. I know that you never settled down enough to have a child and don't imagine that you will. I did, I was married for 17 years. I no longer am. I have a child. So what? Now I want just good company and fun. Don't give me a scarlet letter. It doesn't belong to me. 

To the curly haired belgian who I see every day in salsa. You don't have to stop giving me those long sideways glances of admiration just because I devulged this fact to you as part of casual conversation. 

To the tall swiss with the Seattle area code who I ran into and then liked me on tinder. My whatsap picture is just a photo, and shouldn't make you cancel our date. 

To the overly tan french guy who flirted with me daily until you ran into me and my son in a cafe and your tan instantly faded. You wouldn't get the privledge of spending time with my son unless we were dating for six months anyway. Don't think about it. Enjoy my company. Be my friend even. He is mine not yours. 

Its not complicated. Don't overthink it. I am a mother. Its one of the things I am. Its not something I am asking of you. This description of me allthough possibly my most important title doesn't even show up on my resume. Even employers don't have the priviledge of knowing this about me.

I am the same person you liked before you knew this. Forget it really. Be my friend first. 

Sincerly,
A newly single mom trying to date

No comments:

Post a Comment